DFH Volume 1 Issue 21
My sister Priscilla, the healthiest of us siblings, decided that mom’s macaroni and cheese is too unhealthy. She has created a recipe for Keto cheese. It nicely parallels mom’s version of world class mac and cheese, but substitutes cauliflower for macaroni. It makes good sense to me, and sheds nearly all the carbohydrates. Those of us who are diabetic will really appreciate it.
-One head of cauliflower cut into florets or two bags of frozen cauliflower
-12 oz Extra sharp white cracker barrel grated cheese
-2 1/2 ounces pork rind, crumbs
-parmesan cheese either shredded or jar
-Salt and pepper to taste
-2 tablespoons heavy cream
-Whole milk or half-and-half and almond milk
1. Place cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl with 2 tablespoons heavy cream and 1 tablespoon butter. Microwave uncovered on high for six minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream and butter mixture. Microwave for another six minutes on high.
2. Using a medium-sized casserole dish, layer 1/3 of the cauliflower, salt/pepper, 1/3 of the cheese and just enough crumbs of mixed equal parts pork rinds and Parmesan cheese so that the cheese is not visible.
3. Repeat layers twice more. Just before last crumbs, slowly pour in very little milk.
4. Top with remaining crumbs. No Parmesan is added to top layer.
5. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes.
It sounds great. I’m writing this at 12:17 AM. I wish I had a little for a midnight snack. Oh yeah…I just remembered…eating it for a snack isn’t very healthy.