DFH Volume 1 Issue 24
My brother, Steve, wrote a magnificent history of our Dayton’s early forefathers on American soil. The book is titled Our Long Island Ancestors: The first six Generations of the Daytons in America, 1639-1807. Here’s a summary of what Amazon says about the book.: The compilers’ motivations for publishing many years of research is to provide family and researchers a collection of material with which to confront both early scholarship and family legend, and to begin their own discovery.
● For more than 30 years, records and information were gathered and organized by brothers Stephen Dayton and James Dayton, both of whom possess professional backgrounds in analysis.
● The product is a 476 page compilation of all known records, documenting the descent of the authors’ Long Island line, six generations, from Ralph Dayton through Samuel, Abraham, Henry, to David Senior and David Junior (from about 1588 to 1807).
● 45 pages introduction and contextual information in England
● Extensive study includes critical, original research and examination of existing claims, with effort to label conjecture and theory as such, and to present alternative interpretation.
● Consultation of primary sources and from professional historians (cited).
● 49 images and illustrations including maps, drawings, figures, location photos, original documents and document entries.
● 14 pages of Work Cited; 7 pages of Vital statistics for spouses and children, with references; 19 pages of Index; 878 footnotes, most of which are citation.
This book, in hard cover and paperback would make a great Christmas present for children, grandchildren and other loved ones who want to learn about their Dayton heritage.
Click here to view the book on Amazon.
In other exciting news, Steve reported that he is starting a sequel. Steve says,I just started messing around with organizational ideas for the second book, picking up where I left off a year ago–forming the outline. The process began shortly before being diagnosed with gastric lymphoma in August 2018 and was then just too weak physically and mentally to get inspired. Since being declared “cancer free” this summer, I am gaining strength and am encouraged again to get more of Jim’s research recorded, continuing from the first book. This one will start with David Jr. to proceed through Henry and Charles to grandpa Wilber.
Steve, speaking on behalf of your Dayton family, we’re all looking forward to your book and offer our assistance to you. Feel free to call upon any of us.